They could face huge compensation claims, according to new research. The Control of Asbestos at Work Act 2002 requires businesses to exercise a duty of care, and have plans in place to manage the risk of asbestos on their premises. However, commercial insurance broker UK & Ireland Insurance Services, said that 83% of 500 companies surveyed had no plans in place to deal with the associated risks.
The firm suggests a five point checklist for employers.
- Find out where, if any, asbestos is located, how much there is, and what condition it is in.
- Keep an up-to-date record of the above information, ie an asbestos register.
- Presume that any materials identified contain asbestos unless strong evidence proves otherwise.
- Notify all parties likely to be exposed to asbestos-related risk.
- Prepare, implement and periodically review a plan to manage asbestos in the premises.