A Surrey construction firm was fined after homes it worked on were found to be at risk of lethal CO build-up

A Surrey based construction firm has been fined £7,000 after properties it worked on were found to be at risk of lethal carbon monoxide build-up.

The fine was levied against Wates Construction in connection with work on 11 bungalows in Birmingham.

The integrity of warm air flues was discovered to have been disrupted by the works, potentially causing a build-up of lethal carbon monoxide in the loft space.

Another subcontractor had warned Wates about the need to check the flues after the roofing work had been completed. Wates failed to do this.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) warned construction firms to check the safety of gas flues.

Every year, approximately 25 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by appliances and flues that have not been properly installed or maintained.

Speaking after the case, HSE investigating inspector Mike Ford said: ‘The dangers of damaging flues are well known in the building and refurbishment trade. Such dangerous work, as that seen in Rednal Road, puts lives at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning.’